Mon, Oct 04
Vector and Bitmap imaging
A demonstration of UNISURF, developed by Pierre Bézier, who implemented what we now know as Bézier curves, the basic way of drawing in Illustrator (and many other programs.)
- Review previous assignment
- Adjustment layers
- Digital colour models
- Review of bitmap and vector
- Colour in Illustrator and Photoshop
- Basic Illustrator concepts
Quiz next class. See below for details.
- Review all handouts.
- Make sure Adobe Illustrator is functioning.
- Have the class sample files for Photoshop from last class and this class (below) available.
The Bézier Game
is an online tutorial/practice tool for learning basic Bézier drawing skills.
The cow's ear in this example is a good test of your layer masking abilities.
Layer mask sample file
Download the colour theory PDF handout in PDF format.
Download "File formats" handout in Acrobat PDF format PDF
One of many good illustrator pen tool tutorials
Adjustment layers tutorial
Making a template layer
More than you probably want to know about file formats
Colour books, and more
Pantone, the leading provider of colour standards.
Quiz: 6PM, Oct 18
The quiz covers all topics dealt with in the first 4 classes.
- Basic Mac usage
- Basic computers and storage unit handouts
- Bitmap and vector
- Operating systems concepts
- Resolution and bit depth
- Basic Photoshop tools
- Layers and curves
The quiz quiz will be on paper.
Short written answers are the format.
Here is NSCAD’s policy on Academic Integrity PDF - please make sure you have reviewed it. The quiz will be written under the normal conditions for any quiz - no assistance from any other student or use of outside materials is permitted. While the circumstances of this term are unusual, all standard principals of academic integrity apply. Violations may be penalized by measures including failure of a course, or expulsion from the university.
If you have any questions about this, it is vital you contact me to resolve them immediately.
Quiz coverage for DSGN 1000 Quiz 1
Make sure to review all posted handouts, presentations, videos and linked resources, on the class web site and in Slack. Key topics are listed below, but other material covered in class may be included.
Basic computing concepts and tasks
- The Finder
- Start and shut down programs
- Window elements
- File management - moving and renaming files
- Cut, copy, paste
- How to use keyboard shortcuts
- Storage units and basic computer components
- Operating system concepts and definition
- Analog and digital concepts
- Resolution and bit depth - concepts and application (in Photoshop)
- Fundamental Photoshop tools (see Class 3)
- Using layers
- The curves control (in Photoshop)
- Digital colour theory and application